By Brittney Monteith | Written Under
The day is almost here.
But it’s not too late.
If the approaching Mother’s Day holiday slipped your mind, you’ve still got time to do something great.
It doesn’t have to be premeditated for six months to make her feel loved.
If you’re on the hunt for great ideas to celebrate Mother’s Day with the amazing moms and women in your life, we’ve got you covered. We’ve collected several free or low-cost options to spend time with the fantastic women in your life or to bring them something they’ll love this holiday weekend.
What to Do
- Hershey Gardens: 170 Hotel Road, Hershey, PA 17033 is free for moms on Mother’s Day. Open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the site is home to 23 acres of gardens and an arboretum. There are 11 different theme gardens, including a historic rose garden, herb garden, rock garden, and children’s garden, and you can visit the butterfly atrium as well!
- Harsco Science Center: At the Whitaker Center in downtown Harrisburg, moms receive free admission on Mother’s Day with an accompanying paid adult or student ticket. Located at 222 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101, the deal is not available for online purchases. Exhibits include a tiny town built for kids under 5, a Lego building exhibit, and forces of nature exploration.
- Pride of the Susquehanna dinner cruise: Cruise up and down the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg. The boat leaves from City Island, 11 Championship Way, Harrisburg, PA 17101. The ride includes a three-course dinner with live music out on the water on a two-hour cruise that leaves at 6 p.m.
- Ephrata Cloister: A preserved historic site, the cloister was first formed in 1732 and features unique architecture along with original music and early American folk art. Located at 632 W. Main St., Ephrata, PA 17522, the historic site is free for moms on Mother’s Day.
- Hershey Arts Fest: Held at the Cocoa Beanery this year, the juried art show includes more than 150 artists, live music, and a large kid’s area. The event will be held next to the Penn State Medical Center grounds off of Route 422. Held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 11, the event is free for all to attend.
- Gardening for Butterflies: Held at the Bosler Memorial Library, 158 W. High St., Carlisle, PA 17013, this free program will help attendees learn about the life cycle of butterflies and how to attract them to your garden and yard. The workshop will be presented by the staff of Kings Gap Environmental Education Center.
- Sweet Frog: Many Sweet Frog locations offer a small ice cream for free to mothers with a purchase of a second ice cream. Check out your local site to see if they offer this!
- Refreshing Mountain Retreat and Adventure Center: Moms zipline for free on Mother’s Day, a fun option if your lady is one for adventure. Located at 455 Camp Road in Stevens, PA 17578, the site also includes a high ropes course, climbing tower, giant swing, and archery practice.
- Hershey Story Museum: Free on Saturday and Sunday of Mother’s Day weekend, the museum is at 63 W. Chocolate Ave., Hershey, PA, 17033. The exhibits depict the story of Milton S. Hershey’s life and journey to becoming the most well-known chocolate maker in America. The experience can include tastings in a chocolate lab, too.
- Old Yorke Street Fair: More than 100 arts and crafts vendors fill downtown York, with activities for kids including bounce houses, face painting, and games. The event runs from 12:30 – 6 p.m. Food vendors will be on site, with half of all food sales going toward local nonprofit organizations.
- Succulent Bowl Workshop: At Ashcombe Farm and Greenhouses, 906 W. Grantham Road in Mechanicsburg, PA 17055, you and your mom can learn to make a succulent container. The workshop will provide a terracotta planter, several plants, soil, and instructions for plant care. The workshop will be held Saturday, May 11, at 11 a.m.
Any one of these options can make for a fun weekend, and you can tailor your choices to what the mom(s) in your life enjoy.
Now, onto the gifting options. There’s always jewelry, her favorite dessert, or her favorite flower(s). For some other ideas, try one of these:
- Buy some solid-colored tote bags and have kids or grandkids finger paint or draw on them with fabric markers. Don’t forget to sign each artist’s work!
- Buy her a potted plant she can enjoy year-round – flowers or a plant both brighten up a room!
- Make her breakfast in bed, or pick up her favorite tasty option for breakfast and bring it back to her with some hot coffee or tea
- Make handprint or footprint art with the kids – there are tons of options on Pinterest to find great ideas
- Pick up some chocolate dipped strawberries – so decadent!
- Get a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) membership for the summer that the whole family can enjoy
- Consider what organizations she’s passionate about and make a donation in her name or plan a time to volunteer
- Set up an ice cream sundae bar right at home with all their favorite toppings and brands
This Mother’s Day can be a great one. Go show the women you love how much you appreciate them!
For other ideas on how to make sure your family is cared for, check out our many products that can help you stay on the right track financially. Or contact us anytime!